List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: Announcement of Solr Javascript Client
From:       Matthias Epheser <matthias.epheser () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-29 18:35:17

Otis Gospodnetic schrieb:
> I just had a look at the demo and reeeally like it!
>
> I didn't pay enough attention to this thread, though.  Is the main concern that by \
> having a Solr search webapp that is really all in UI and uses your JS library, the \
> backend Solr server is directly exposed and thus somebody could peek in the web \
> page source, figure out Solr's address, and start issuing delete and other damaging \
> requests?
> I think somebody mentioned a Servlet Filter.  Couldn't we simply supply a servlet \
> filter that allows only some request URLs, possibly reading those URLs from an \
> external file, thus allowing easy customization?

Yep I think the main conclusion is that we may provide a "read only" url space
that only serves the json data needed by the js. We need at least SOME access to
solr as we want to get data from it :)

> This dynamic stuff looks veeeery juicy.
>
> Question about scalability:
> How much is cached either client-side?  With every new letter I type, is JS hitting \
> Solr, or is there some caching (planned) on the client?

In the demo there is no caching yet, so every typing causes a request. The
"real" implementation surely should include some caching etc.

matthias