List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: solr index reusable with nutch?
From:       Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler.ext () juntadeandalucia ! es>
Date:       2006-12-20 16:13:11

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 11:14 -0800, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : In my use case I need the reverse. Nutch searches the index created by
> : my solr application. The application is just one component in the portal
> : and the portal will provide a "global" search engine which should use
> : the index from solr.
>
> If you have a compatible schema, then it should be possible ... but if
> your goal is to make an index with a biz object specific schema and then
> use it as a single collection/source in a nutch installation, that may not
> sork ... i'm not sure how flexible Nutch is about the indexes it can
> hanlde: it's probably a question best asked on the Nutch user list.

I did some testing with nutch searching over a solr index. Like Chris
said "compatible schema" are the only important point on this issue.

To put it in other words, nutch uses by default <field name="content"/>
to search and returns some fields by default. So if you are not keen to
write your own nutch plugin for your custom solr schema, just make sure
that you use the field name="content" to store your main text. You can
further enhance the integration by using the "nutch" names for
"important" fields.

Further I have <field name="url"/> in my schema and it is the only field
that I see in the response of nutch.

sh bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.searcher.NutchBean presidencia
Total hits: 3
 0 null//2006/209/disposition/19923-a.html

 1 null//2006/209/disposition/20246-a.html

 2 null//2006/209/disposition/20034-a.html

This is good enough for my client and me since I can transform that
afterward. :)

Thanks Chris and Otis for your feedback.

salu2