List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: How to query a parent child relationship returning result set of parents?
From:       "Eric Van Dewoestine" <ervandew () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-12-12 22:21:19

> You can do pretty much anything you want in a custom request handler, but
> i must admit that off the top of my head i can't think of any elegant way
> to solve your problem.
>
> Most people i know are happy with option #1 :)
>
> -Hoss

I appreciate the input Hoss.  Unfortunately, I don't see option 1
working for us give the number of comments we expect our site to
generate.  If solr had some sort of append command to only index
appended content, then this may be a more viable solution. However,
I'm afraid of the performance impact that will result from re-index
the parent content and all child content every time a new child is
added.

It looks as though option 3 is the 'proper' solution and it's just a
matter of determining what and how to plug it in.  I've seen a couple
topics on the lucene mailing list which seem promising, so now I just
have to figure out how to fit that into the solr environment.

If you or anyone else have any more suggestions, tips, etc. I'd
appreciate the help as I'm a bit time constrained.

Thanks again for the response.

--
eric