List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: including "time" as a factor in relevance?
From:       "Yonik Seeley" <yseeley () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-07-15 18:29:01

On 7/15/06, WHIRLYCOTT <phil@whirlycott.com> wrote:
> I need to have my search result relevance influenced by time.  Older
> things in my index are less relevant than newer things.  I don't want
> to do a strict sort by date.  Is this supported somehow by using a
> dismax request handler?  Or if you have other hints, I'm eager to
> know what they are.

dismax handler has a bf (boosting function) parameter that may be used
to specify a function over the date field.

You could try something like setting bf to
recip(rord(mydatefield),1,1000,1000)^0.5
A reciprocal function over the reverse ordinal of the date field, with
a weight of .5 (adjust weight until you get the right balance)

http://incubator.apache.org/solr/docs/api/org/apache/solr/request/DisMaxRequestHandler.html

-Yonik