List:       solr-dev
Subject:    Re: Thinking about upgrading indexes to X+2
From:       Robert Muir <rcmuir () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-11-24 10:11:20

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 3:24 AM Bram Van Dam <bram.vandam@intix.eu> wrote:

> Is there any particular reason why the IndexUpgrader couldn't simply
> warn about non-upgradable changes? If you have a data type that's no
> longer supported and there's no migration path: error out.
>
> I understand the whole "x != f(x)" upgrade problem, but many scenarios
> should be pretty straightforward to upgrade. If a field is stored or has
> docvalues, f(x) can simply be recomputed, no?
>
> Am I missing something glaringly obvious here?

No, you clearly don't understand the basics.

1. indexupgrader works via *merge* not reindexing. to recompute, you
need to reindex
2. there's no correlation between whats in any stored field or
anywhere else with whats in a posting list. you can set them to
whatever you want.
3. lucene doesn't even know what analyzer or anything else you used to
index it. its an index. not a database.