List:       solr-dev
Subject:    Re: [RT] working with patches vs. branches?
From:       "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-11-20 9:58:24

On 11/18/06, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
> ...i was going to add that i personally don't feel like a branch would be
> neccessary for most of the currently existing Jira issues ... but i would
> certianly think it might be a good idea if/when someone is ready to tackle
> "Make use of [WWW] HiveMind or Spring" or maybe even "FederatedSearch" ...
> it all depends on how expansive the changes need to and how long of a
> development process is anticipated....

Thanks very much everybody for the comments!

I agree that the "patches in Jira" way of working is fine for small
incremental changes, and I'm glad to see that branches would be
welcome for more extensive changes, stuff that takes longer to finish
or wild experiments.

On 11/17/06, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
> ...I also think there might be a mental block even for committers to go
> commiting to "Joe's branch" ... even if it's not really Joe's branch, it's
> the branch for issue#98765 but if Joe is hte guy whose been working like a
> dog on it, I dont' know that i'd feel comfortable commiting a bunch of
> stuff directly into that branch...

I tend to agree if it's "a bunch of stuff", but I like it when people
improve my code! We shouldn't be afraid of patching other's stuff, in
order to make full use of our shared neurons...

-Bertrand