List:       solid
Subject:    Re: Moving a server...
From:       Antti Rauramo <antti.rauramo () edita ! fi>
Date:       1999-01-26 14:37:19

Mikael Gueck wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  basically you do just that with ssh port forwarding. (man ssh, look at
>  the -L option.) Piece of cake. Just install ssh on both machines, start
>  sshd on the solid-server and run
>
>   ssh -L 1313:solid-server.edita.fi:1313 solid-server.edita.fi
>
>  on the other machine. As an additional bonus, all the traffic will be
>  encrypted :)

Allright, it's done! Seems that the ssh has to be running while the
forwarding is in use, so we'll be in a bit of a hurry to update everything
where sql has been used, but for now it's working fine! Thanks!

Next time it should be easy with the solid in a separate machine, but it'd
seem this setup is plenty for our use; whereas Solid used to glow red on the
sun web server, now the load in the Linux box doesn't even raise to 0.50, and
there's hardly any swap in use. Cool!

--
- Antti Rauramo, WWW- ja tietokanta-asiantuntija, Edita Verkkoviestintä
- antti.rauramo@edita.fi, +358-9-8501 4004 (mobile)