List:       solid
Subject:    Re: how do i read a solid db on a linux platform from my windows-95 pc using odbc ?
From:       Siegfried Stepke <siegi () netz ! at>
Date:       1998-02-20 10:24:49

Hello bill!

> We have a linux server with solid loaded on it.  We are using visual basic
> on our
> windows-95 pc's for our application development.  We would like to access
> the solid db using odbc.
> How is this done ?

I just can tell you, how I do it with Access:

Install ODBC, Create a DataSourceName ("tcp linux.company.com 1313",...)

Because of an ODBC-Bug from MS you have to create a view of the table you want
to access
	CREATE VIEW my_view AS SELECT * FROM my_table;
Don't forget to commit!
Then in Access in the "new table"-dialog use "link" (<- not sure about the
english name of the item), then odbc, the select your DSN, browse through
the table-list and select my_view.

Access will ask you which row it should use as primary key.

that's it... use the new table like any other.

bye,
siegi