List:       solid
Subject:    Re: hot standby?
From:       Tom <tom () sdf ! com>
Date:       1998-02-01 21:07:09

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Brian Slesinsky wrote:

> I got an evaluation license to try it out but haven't gotten around to it
> yet.  From what I can tell, it's manual in both cases - the backup server
> takes over when you give it a command, and the clients need to detect that
> the primary failed and connect to the backup.

  As far as I can tell, it uses a master slave relationship.  Clients
connect to the master, and the master automatically replicates updates to
the slave.  When the master fails, the slave becomes the master, and I'm
pretty sure this automatic.  I'm pretty sure that clients have to
re-connect manually, which isn't too hard if you have good error handling.

  I suppose your "...give it a command..." comment refers to the "hsb"
remote-control command?  This command requires a parameter (which I have
not yet figured out), and I believe is used to define the master-slave
relationship.

  Anyone know more about hotstandby?