List:       soekris-tech
Subject:    [Soekris] freebsd jails vs linux vservers on net5501
From:       Philip <subs () christiantena ! net>
Date:       2012-04-30 10:20:07

Hi
I have a net5501 with a 40G HD in it which I used as a home firewall,
web server and mail server.

The mail server and web server each run in a bsd jail each with the base
OS being freebsd.

I went with freebsd because it seems well supported on soekris PCs and
supports jails (the other BSDs seem to have given up), and because I
really like PF.

Also all my file server runs debian and I was sort of thinking that the
chance of a well patched bsd system and a well patched debian system
being vulnerable at the same time would be smaller.

The problem is that the freebsd install isn't well patched because I
just can't get along with the package management as well as debian apt.
  I used to get along with netbsd package management okay but that
doesn't have jails.  Now it has developed some other issues which I
can't easily debug, and which I would have debugged easily in debian.
Frankly it's just annoying me.

So I have some choices.
Forget freebsd and jails and go back to netbsd.  Maybe outsource my
web/mail and domain name to google like my boss does?  My work netbsd
firewall even has a cron script that checks its own patch state and
emails me if it needs something.
Stick with freebsd and rebuild and properly sort it (with associated
learning curve that I never managed before)?
Go to debian that I am 100% confortable with and use vservers (which
would be new), just use fwbuilder on my desktop to get round iptables
wierdness?
Also I now have a 4G CF card that I would quite like to boot from (like
my debian file server) so maybe the 40G drive could spend a lot of time
asleep.

Has anyone here tried vserver on a soekris?  how does it compare with
freebsd jail for resources?

thanks for any thoughts, Philip