List:       soekris-tech
Subject:    Re: [Soekris] net5501 inexplicable crashes under load and using wlan - mystery solved
From:       Bjarke Istrup Pedersen <gurli () gurlinet ! dk>
Date:       2012-04-11 11:48:30

2012/4/11 Svenning Sørensen <sss@secomea.com>:

> On 10-04-2012 15:12, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>> Svenning Sørensen wrote:
>>> Two machines sending high rates of UDP packets to each other would make
>>> the box hang rather fast, often within a few seconds under certain
>>> loads.
>>> I made a few fixes to the 3.2.13 driver which seem to have solved the
>>> hangs as well as another major problem (the one addressed in 3.3),
>>> namely missed timer ticks due to too much work in the via-rhine
>>> interrupt handler.
>>> It has now been running for a week under high load without hanging at
>>> all.
>>
>> Svenning,
>>
>> Would you consider submitting this to netdev once you believe the
>> problem is solved?
>>
>> Thanks, Jan
>
> Actually it seems they've already spotted it on the netdev list :)

I would really have wished people had picked it up back in january and
helped catch some of the bugs there, so we won't have to wait for 3.4
before it becomes really usable :o)

If people could try and give v3.4-rc2 with this patch applied a run,
it would be really helpful: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/151700/
So far it seems stable to me, but my setup most likely won't catch
every problem.

/Bjarke