List:       soekris-tech
Subject:    Re: [Soekris] net6501 + standard (not-rack) case -- how hot it will
From:       Attila Kinali <attila () kinali ! ch>
Date:       2011-09-21 11:56:49

Moin,

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:22:20 +0400
Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru> wrote:

> You wrote 21 сентября 2011 г., 11:09:19:
>
> > I bought myself a radial fan[1,2] and mounted it on the PCI socket side,
> > directly at the case top (a little bit of epoxy glue is enough)

>   Without any additional cut-outs?

Nope. I didnt want do do any machining beyond drilling holes and wanted
to keep even those at a minimum. So i decided to try first w/o anything
and just glued the fan in. No cut outs, no holes, nothing. The only thing
i did was to close all other holes on the side of the fan, so that the
hot air just blown out would not enter again trough those holes again.

> > to blow the air out of the case. This is quite enough to keep my system
> > cool even on hot summers (eg up to 35 C ambient). There is some
> > noise, but not too much. If you dont have a PCI card mounted, i recommend

>   I have one -- gigabit Intel card to attach my internal network...

Then you have to measure how much space you've at the top and decide
based on that. Rule of thumb: the more "thicknes" your fan has the more
airflow you can get at the same noise level.

> > getting a thicker one than the 8mm one i bought. For more air flow and/or
> > slower rotating speed and thus less noise.
>   It looks like notbooks spare parts, I'll need to visit notebook
>  repair shop :)

I'm sure you can get any fan there too, but buying it at an electronics
shop gives you the advantage, that you get to know the parameters of
the fan beforehand, most imprtanly air flow and noise level.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin