List:       soekris-tech
Subject:    Re: [Soekris] Second Serial Port?
From:       Tom Huppi <tomh () teracent ! com>
Date:       2009-11-24 9:38:33

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu
<mail@sabahattin-gucukoglu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am I right to understand, that the second serial port on the net5501 is accessible \
> only through an interface on the board itself, and it isn't exposed through the \
> case?  I would really like access from outside the casing.
> Forgive if this is shown somewhere else; I'm blind and can't examine illustrations.

The 'normal' case is significantly larger than the motherboard which
allows a PCI card to be added.  There is a blank cover that can be
removed to allow ethernet ports on a PCI card to be exposed.  Soekris
sells a serial connector which can replace this blank cover (but I
found it to be more loose than I though satisfactory and added an
extra screw after drilling a small hole myself.)

Of course if you plan to add a card to the PCI slot on the side of the
motherboard (as opposed to the mini one on the top) this is probably
not an option.  One suspects that an alternate location might be able
to be fabricated but I don't have the case in front of me to verify
that.

Another option would be to use the USB.  I have done both, and as long
as I did not need a hub, the USB -> serial adapter with a 'prolific'
chipset has worked well in my FreeBSD 7 5501's.

Thanks,

 - Tom