List:       soekris-tech
Subject:    Re: [Soekris] impossible to link eth1, eth2,
From:       David Young <dyoung () pobox ! com>
Date:       2008-12-06 22:11:30

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 08:39:54PM -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> David Alexander wrote:
> > Several people here assume you want a bridge to tie all your
> > interfaces together.  You can go to the trouble of doing that, but
> > why?  The NET5501 is the first Soekris box that can actually saturate
> > the 100Mbit link.  With that in mind I had high hopes that bonding
> > several nics together might make up for the fact that I was moving my
> > server from a Gbit capable box to the Soekris.  Alas, bonding the nics
> > didn't provide any real throughput improvements, at least not
> > according to my primitive tests.  The 5501 can really only saturate a
> > single link at a time.  If someone else thinks otherwise I'm all ears.
>
> The one 32 bit 33mhz pci bus is a probably the biggest part of the
> bottleneck...

Joel,

It seems to me that 33 million cycles at 32 bits a cycle is 1056 megabits,
which is not too shabby.  I may be making an error in my math, and I
have not accounted for overhead.  Nevertheless, it seems that one should
be able to run two or three 100 Mb NICs at full speed on that PCI bus,
if the bus is otherwise lightly loaded.

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24