List:       soekris-tech
Subject:    [Soekris] Booting from second drive: BIOS is confused
From:       Richard Gooch <rgooch () safe-mbox ! com>
Date:       2006-11-20 17:27:57

  Hi, all. In an attempt to boot from my CF card, which seems to be
locked to being a slave, I'm trying to get it to boot as the second
drive. But it seems the BIOS is confused about whether the drive is 80
or 81.

When I have a 2.5" HDD as "Pri Mas" and my CF card as "Pri Sla", I can
type "boot 81" and it boots fine from my CF card. The boot loader on
the CF card has been configured to load from BIOS device 81.

When I remove the 2.5" HDD and only have my CF card, when I type
"boot 81", I get the following:
No Boot device available, enter monitor.

If I type "boot 80", the first stage boot loader starts up, and then
craps out because it can't find BIOS drive 81. Can this be fixed? What
I am trying to do is always boot from the CF card, whether the 2.5"
HDD is connected or not. My settings are:
ConSpeed = 38400
ConLock = Enabled
ConMute = Disabled
BIOSentry = Enabled
PCIROMS = Enabled
PXEBoot = Enabled
FLASH = Secondary
BootDelay = 5
FastBoot = Disabled
BootPartition = Disabled
BootDrive = 80 81 F0 FF
ShowPCI = Enabled
Reset = Hard

Also, another problem I've noticed is that the monitor often locks up
when typing. I've tried it at 19200 baud and have the same problem.
This is quite frustrating. I often have to hit the reset button and
try typing several times before I manage to complete my command.

				Regards,

					Richard....