List:       soekris-tech
Subject:    [Soekris-tech] Re: Diskless PXE clients: switching FreeBSDkernels
From:       soekris () house ! org (Chris Roehrig)
Date:       2004-03-23 23:57:25

Hi Matt,
     That looks like a good way to set up the DHCP stuff, but there's
still the problem of getting different clients to use different kernels
on the shared NFS client.   The problem is that the DHCP "filename"
must always be "pxeroot".   I've tried specifying a kernel directly
here, but it's too big for the PXE bootstrap ROM to load.    pxeroot
acts just like /boot/loader and reads all of the bootloader files in
/boot starting with loader.rc and currently doesn't have a simple way
of conditionally switching kernels, except by writing a Forth script
(hence the kern_switch.4th that I posted).

I have my DHCP set up with:   option root-path "192.168.32.2:/"  so
that my PXE clients are sharing the same root as the NFS server itself,
and I boot /kernel for the server and /kernel.NET4501 for my 4501 box.
   This saves me from having to maintain a separate root tree in
/usr/mboot.

-- Chris