List:       soap-user
Subject:    Re: Using "business" XML schemas to validate data in SOAP messages
From:       Olivier Brand <olivier () intraware ! com>
Date:       2001-02-27 20:38:42

See my post about Serializers/Deserializers.
I think that Brett's articles are very good too, but at the implementation side
I would recommend to use Castor from www.exolab.org.
This implementation is very stable and follows the latest Schema recommendation.

I wrote a Serializer/Deserializer for castor objects so you don't need to worry
about validation, DOM nor SAX.
We are using this package (Castor) in production and so far it has been a total
success (cut the dev cost, easy to maintain, ....).
The documentation is also excellent ! And the best part is that this is free !

Olivier

"Mork, Phil" wrote:

> Leo,
>
> There's a pretty good series of articles on validation with Java and XML
> Schemas by Brett McLaughlin.  Here's a link to Part 4. You can get to the
> earlier articles from that one.
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1208-validation4.html
>
> Basically, the articles discuss a framework to do schema based validation
> using Java objects to hold the constraints, and only parsing the schema once
> at startup.   This allows for much faster performance than just using an XML
> Parser to do the validation each time, since you only parse the Schema once
> at startup, and then it's pure Java code running when you actually validate
> the data.  Yet your validation constraints are still read in from the XML
> schema file so you maintain the flexibility of modifying constraints just by
> modifying the XML schema file.  I used the concepts to build a more
> full-featured validation framework that seems quite effective and efficient.
>
> I hope it's helpful to you.
>
> Phil

["olivier.vcf" (text/x-vcard)]