List:       soap-user
Subject:    Re: [newbie] how to consume my webservice?
From:       "Scott Nichol" <snicholnews () scottnichol ! com>
Date:       2004-02-26 17:18:28

The exact method a given programmer uses will depend on the programming language API \
(s)he uses.  The most important issue is how you document the service.  By far the \
most popular method is WSDL.  You can write the WSDL yourself, probably starting with \
a WSDL file from someone's existing service, then editing for your specific needs.

Manual creation quickly becomes boring.  Apache Axis includes a tool to generate WSDL \
from a Java class.  I have used this in the past to generate WSDL for my Apache SOAP \
services, as well as the older Web Services Toolkit from IBM, as described at \
http://www.scottnichol.com/vbclienthiapachesoap.htm#webservicestoolkit.

However, if you are new to Apache SOAP, I have another suggestion.  Don't use Axis \
just to generate your WSDL.  Use it to implement your services *and* generate your \
WSDL, which it will do automatically.  Axis is, in a sense, the next generation of \
Apache SOAP.  Axis implements more standards and continues to evolve to incorporate \
new ones.

Scott Nichol

specific mail lists.