List:       snort-users
Subject:    [Snort-users] Stability of SNort 1.7 beta 8
From:       "Rene 'Lynx' Pfeiffer" <linux () thing ! at>
Date:       2000-12-21 11:26:31

Greetings!

Some quick notes about the stability of Snort 1.7 beta 8. I installed 4 S=
nort
sensors some days ago (three web servers and one mail hub). The machines =
are
based on Red Hat (with the usual load of updates). I can give you detaile=
version numbers if you like to.

All sensors log their data to mySQL databases. The Snorts use the snortfu=
ll.conf
ruleset. So far I did not see any problems. The processes run without
supervision. Installation went fine and without any problems (except two =
mySQL
upgrades to use the DB logging functionality).

Just one side note: I held a firewall and security workshop two weeks ago=
 and
presented Snort. One of the participants was a firewall admin of an Austr=
ian
cell phone company. After the workshop he went to his office and installe=
d Snort
on a Solaris system. He told me about his experience the next day and was=
 deeply
impressed by Snort's capabilities. ;-)

Best regards,
Ren=E9

 GNU/Linux Manages! - Support, Administration, Consulting
  RP3191-RIPE       - Networking, Programming, Installation