List:       snort-users
Subject:    Re: [Snort-users] Whitelisting my entire internal network - bad idea. What else can I do?
From:       "Scott A. Wozny via Snort-users" <snort-users () lists ! snort ! org>
Date:       2020-03-06 18:13:03

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

Unfortunately, I don't know what mechanism you're using to block IPs (that, \
apparently, you need to manually clear) so I can't suggest a practical solution, just \
a conceptual one.  Perhaps someone on the list recognizes the feature you're using by \
description and can suggest how to tune it.  I'm just getting back into snort after a \
few years absence so I don't have a good handle on all the available features, yet.  \
When I was managing an operational snort install I only did blocking of individual \
packets based upon signatures that were extremely unlikely to not be actual security \
events (of which, http_inspect signatures did NOT qualify) and didn't auto-shun IPs \
(I'm not even sure that was a feature in the versions I used).  I ran a lot of \
signatures (including classically noisy ones like icmp net and host unreachable) so I \
could watch my daily reports for changes in the network traffic profile but I was \
REALLY judicious about what caused snort to block a packet, as a result.

As far as turning individual events into useful comments to developers is concerned, \
there is no real shortcut to that other than digging into the packet capture, seeing \
how that packet tripped the rule and then going back to the developer to see what can \
be done about it.  In my experience, though, that was MUCH easier said than done.  In \
my environment, the developers were renowned for their "not my department" attitude \
and often claimed that all they did was write API calls and if the CMS was doing \
weird stuff  there wasn't anything they could do about it.  The CMS vendor, of \
course, would point the finger back at the developers or the HTTP servers or just \
claim that if we weren't running on their absolute latest version they couldn't help. \
I eventually gave up and just expected a certain low hum of these events in the \
background at all times.

I guess what I'm saying is rather than whitelisting your entire home network (if that \
would even accomplish what you're looking for) I'd go back to the feature that's \
causing you the operational headache (the auto-shunning of IPs that you need to \
manually intervene in each time it happens) and do a deep dive into that feature's \
configuration to see if http_inspect can be removed from the equation because it's \
such a notoriously chatty signature set for things that often aren't actual security \
issues.  But I can't give you a more "click here and check this" level of practical \
advice.  With any luck, someone on this list can.

Scott