List:       snort-users
Subject:    Re: [Snort-users] Snort+ and logging
From:       Russ via Snort-users <snort-users () lists ! snort ! org>
Date:       2018-09-21 14:48:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 9/20/18 4:55 PM, Meridoff via Snort-users wrote:

> чт, 20 сент. 2018 г. в 19:48, Andy Swartzbaugh
> <andy.swartzbaugh@gmail.com <mailto:andy.swartzbaugh@gmail.com>>:
>
>     1)  My understanding is that Barnyard was a remedy to cope with
>     Snort2's single-processor (i.e., not multi-processing) design and
>     that Snort3 should be able to handle logging without needing
>     another process to handle the logging.
>

> It is true. But Barny2 is able to send alerts to BD or remote syslog -
> it is usefull..Snort3 now doesn't support it
Snort 3 can integrate with Barnyard 2 with this configuration:

     bool unified2.legacy_events = false: generate Snort 2.X style
events for barnyard2 compatibility

The problem is that Snort 3 generates more and different data than BY2
can process.  An alternative is to use JSON and elastic stack or
splunk.  See e.g.
https://blog.snort.org/2017/11/snort-30-with-elasticsearch-logstash.html.

>     2) from
>     www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_sniffing_and_logging
>     <http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_sniffing_and_logging>
>     :
>
>     snort --pcap-dir /path/to/pcap/dir --pcap-filter '*.pcap' -L dump
>     -l /path/to/log/dir
>
>     from
>     www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_alert_syslog
>     <http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortplus/snort_manual.html#_alert_syslog>
>     :
>
>     This must be done in snort.lua as opposed to the command line:
>
>     alert_syslog =
>     {
>             facility = local3,
>             level = info,
>
>     }

Just to clarify, facility and level are strings so level = 'info' etc.
(enums take string values):

$ snort --help-config alert_syslog
enum alert_syslog.facility = auth: part of priority applied to each
message { auth | authpriv | daemon | user | local0 | local1 | local2 |
local3 | local4 | local5 | local6 | local7 }
enum alert_syslog.level = info: part of priority applied to each message
{ emerg | alert | crit | err | warning | notice | info | debug }
multi alert_syslog.options: used to open the syslog connection { cons |
ndelay | perror | pid }