List:       snort-users
Subject:    Re: [Snort-users] max_header_line_len
From:       Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire ! com>
Date:       2008-03-27 11:41:50

Hi Serdar,

The header name buffer overflow looks for a header name > 64 characters.
 Header names are taken to be the tags in the data header, e.g.

If the number of characters before the ":" is more than 64 characters
the smtp preprocessor alerts.  The max_header_line_len has nothing to do
with this - it looks for the length of the entire line.

Is your network asynchronous?  Are you dropping packets?  Can you
provide a pcap that generates the alert (send to bugs@snort.org)?

Thanks,
Todd