List:       snort-users
Subject:    Re: [Snort-users] Snort signautures (understanding snort
From:       Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc ! com>
Date:       2003-02-28 21:02:15

1) For many signatures you can get some documentation by going to the
snort.org website and entering the SID number of the rule into the "rules
documentation" part.

Note that none of this will be a "simple" explanation, because there is no
simple explanation possible. You're looking at output from the analysis of
an inherently complicated problem.

If the messages in most of the snort alerts don't mean anything to you
right away, you might want to read an old post on this subject I made, it's
very well written, and very thorough about the kinds of things a
snort-admin should know about networks.

That message is web-archived here:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2002-12/0474.html

2) nope, you just need to start snort and give it a config file, after
properly editing the snort.conf to include proper definitions for things
like HOME_NET. You might want to use some commandline switches to tell it
what interface to listen on, etc, but these are all fairly straightforward
if you read the manpage for snort.

3) I can't help you with idscenter, I've never used it.