List:       snort-sigs
Subject:    Re: [Snort-sigs] vrt rules snapshot 2961 are unavailable for reg-users
From:       waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream ! net>
Date:       2014-04-26 23:29:23

On 4/26/2014 2:21 AM, Arvid Van Essche wrote:
[...]
> After some initial investigation, it seems that the rules for snapshot 2961
> are not present on the snort.org website. This seems only the case for
> registered users. Subscribed users are capable of downloading the latest
> file.
>
> Is this expected behavior due to the running 30-days behind rule?

yes... subscribers get rules released 30 days behind... paying folks get them
when they are released...

> I assume snort 2.9.6.0 rules can be combined with snort version 2.9.6.1 with
> maybe losing some additional features introduced in the 2.9.6.1 logic?

the last available rule set for the previous version release should work...
scripts should handle this possibility... if they do not, file a report with
their maintainers so it can be handled properly without causing heartache to the
users...