List:       snort-sigs
Subject:    Re: [Snort-sigs] Mainframe FTP Failed Logins
From:       paul stark <starkp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-13 12:13:25

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the help.  The issue was due to
the fact that the traffic was going in one interface and taking a
different path back to the client.

While probably not the most efficient rule, I ended up using the rule
below which seemed to pick up the failed login that I was attempting
to alert on:

alert tcp $HOME_NET 21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"ET SCAN Potential
Mainframe FTP Brute-Force attempt"; dsize:<100;content:"|35 33 30 20
50 41 53 53|";threshold: type threshold, track by_dst, count 5,
seconds 300; classtype:unsuccessful-user; sid:9008711; rev:1; )