List:       snort-sigs
Subject:    [Snort-sigs] False positive in 3065.1 (IMAP append literal overflow attempt)
From:       nnposter () users ! sourceforge ! net
Date:       2005-01-18 22:49:13

The current version:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 143
(msg:"IMAP append literal overflow attempt"; flow:established,to_server;
content:"APPEND"; nocase; pcre:"/\sAPPEND\s[^\n]*?\s\{/smi";
byte_test:5,>,256,0,string,dec,relative;
reference:bugtraq,11775; classtype:misc-attack; sid:3065; rev:1;)

I am getting false positives on completely benign commands, such as

    APPEND "Sent Items" (\Seen) {2345}

My interpretation of the rule is that it fires whenever a message literal
size prefix specifies more than 256 bytes, which seems wrong. Could
somebody either confirm my interpretation or point out where I am making
a mistake?

Cheers,
nnposter