List:       snort-sigs
Subject:    Re: [Snort-sigs] nimda.nws
From:       HenkP () masana ! co ! za
Date:       2002-08-14 6:58:28

thanks for all the advice,
I have definitely scanned and used all the latest virus removal tools
(nimda.a and nimda.e)

I cant remember rebooting the servers, but to be on the safe side I will
scan with NAV again (and also use the virus removal tools), remove any
unused services and then reboot the servers to make sure.

Regards

Henk Pretorius

                    "Ian Macdonald"
                    <secsnortsigs@dirk.de       To:     <HenkP@masana.co.za>
                    mon.co.uk>                  cc:
                    2002/08/13 06:55 PM

If you can do some logging (tcp dump or alerts and send then we might be
able to help identify it. My guess is that you still have an infected
machine or a machine that has become reinfected. I would look at the alerts
being generated and find the source address then investigate that machine.
Find out if it has the latest service pack on it, make sure you have all
the
current security hot fixes installed. You will find it will be running IIS
check to see if IIS can be switched off.
I personally would not trust a virus killer to get rid of nimba
One thing that just occurred to me, After cleaning the machines did you
reboot them? If I remember correctly the IIS service is high jacked by
nimba
and in order to get rid of it you have to restart the service and reboot.

Ian