List:       snort-sigs
Subject:    RE: [Snort-sigs] Triangle Boy
From:       "Scott, Michael R." <MICHAEL.R.SCOTT () saic ! com>
Date:       2002-07-25 17:17:15

It appears the TriangleBoy network is still up and running.  I recently
filled out the form on their website to receive a copy of the software, and
here is some relevant snippets from the emails I've received:

<quote>
TRIANGLE BOY VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
==============================

Triangle Boy was developed by SafeWeb, Inc. as a response to invasive
online monitoring practices and Internet censorship worldwide. It is
supported by the United States Government's International Broadcasting
Bureau. It is a free, peer-to-peer application that volunteers download
onto their PCs so that users who have been blocked from certain Internet
sites can circumvent firewalls and regain access to those sites.

With Triangle Boy, users everywhere can have free, private and secure
access to an uncensored Web.

Some key features of Triangle Boy:
----------------------------------

1) Requests are transmitted to SafeWeb via Triangle Boy, but Web content
is returned DIRECTLY to the user via IP spoofed packets.

2) All communications are encrypted using 128-bit SSL. The key exchange
is between SafeWeb and the user only, so the Triangle Boy machine CANNOT
eavesdrop on the communications.

3) Users will receive an automatic warning alerting them to inspect
SafeWeb's digital certificate to ensure that they are connected to
SafeWeb through a legitimate Triangle Boy machine, and not through a
fake one.
</quote>

In addition, if you send an email to ip@privatehop.com it will return you a
listing of three current TriangleBoy addrs, but:

<quote>
The number of Triangle Boy IPs published per day is restricted.
You may try again in a few days for a different set of Triangle Boy IPs.
You will not receive any further emails if you try again within an hour.
Thank you for supporting the Privacy Matrix.
</quote>

As for the orig question, a signature to detect this, it may be difficult as
it's all SSL encrypted and the server addrs are not fixed.  I will take a
closer look if/when I get a chance to install and play with it.

-Mike