List:       snort-sigs
Subject:    RE: [Snort-sigs] understanding 'snort sigantures' / 'what triggered an event'
From:       "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed ! com>
Date:       2002-07-16 17:39:10

The sigs database on snort.org is a good place to start.  However, it is still \
off-line in the wake of a minor (read: major) system failure.  In its absence, I \
would recommend simply reading the rule that triggered the event and inspecting the \
corresponding packet decode.  If the rule contains links to other vuln databases, you \
should obviously read those as well.  Also try searching Google and the \
snort-users/sigs archives--if it has a high false rate, someone else has probably \
posted in the past.

Having said that, the best person to make the final false pos determination is the \
person running the system (read: you).  View the alert, view the raw packet, check \
the vulnerability, and check your system logs.  Not much you can't figure out if you \
do all of that.  Also not much else that you can do with your day, but...

Cheers

Keith