List:       snort-sigs
Subject:    [Snort-sigs] sid 567 - SMTP Relaying
From:       <shanew () shanew ! net>
Date:       2001-10-02 16:27:34

I decided to turn on just a few of the policy rules, and discovered
that the SMTP Relaying denied rule doesn't work right.  So much, that
in fact it caught two false positives while missing a number of actual
hits.

While rev 2 made it a tighter rule with the addition of the "550 "
string, the direction of the arrows still seems to be interpreted
wrong by snort.  When I flip it to look like:
$SMTP 25 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any

it works as expected.

http://pgp.mit.edu/                |