List:       snort-devel
Subject:    [Snort-devel] Attention Requested ..
From:       "Maheshkumar Sabhnani" <msabhnan () eng ! utoledo ! edu>
Date:       2001-06-27 13:33:43

Respected,

I am a Masters student at University of Toledo. I am doing my thesis on =
Intrusion Detection using Neural Networks. I am done with the literature =
survey and studied the basics of IDS. My thesis will study the role of =
recurrent neural networks for anomaly detection in IDS. I am planning to =
make a realtime/offline IDS based on the normal behavior of system. =
Neural networks should reduce detection time and use less resources =
(after training is done).

Currently I am compiling the training and testing data for the IDS. Can =
you send me some suggestions/information on which attacks should be =
considered. Also is it possible for me to get already collected data =
from some archive?

Neural networks can also be used to do preliminary investigation of raw =
data (feature extraction, compression) and then other techniques can be =
used on processed data. This can be done by creating DLL files and =
attaching it to your software. Does your software give the facility of =
adding DLL files to possibly improve its performance?

I will be working on this thesis for next 1 year and will like to =
contribute something useful in this field.
Your suggestions will be valuable to me ..

Waiting for your reply ..
Maheshkumar Sabhnani