List:       snort-devel
Subject:    Re: [Snort-devel] Parsing problems.
From:       Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx ! net>
Date:       2000-08-31 19:11:13

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Jed Pickel wrote:
> > I've just been having few problems with snort, mainly with the
> > configuration parsing code (any thoughts on using (f)lex?). Minor
> > "off by one" issue, which I think I'm only noticing due to that
> > FreeBSD's default malloc settings are in debugging mode.
>
> Fyodor has talked about moving to flex or possibly yacc in past
> discussions. I believe this is buried somewhere in the TODO list. ;)

 It's been a long time since I wrote that pascal compiler using flex/yacc
and if memory serves... I think that flex might be ok for the parser..but do
we really want to mess with bison/yacc ?

My only wish for the parser is that it wouldn't dump core as
its primary means of error indication.  I've looked through the code
there and like all of Marty's (a.k.a. pointer-boy :-) code it's
pretty clean and well managed, so I wouldn't rule out just
beefing up what's there too. I've found with open source stuff
that uses lex, that the machine generated code most people don't
want to touch, and most aren't comfortable with fiddling with
lex source, so it may be more maintainable by other volunteers
in the long run to just work with what's there too.

But ultimately whoever antes up the work and code will
be the arbiter, I guess.

--dr

--
dursec.com ltd. / kyx.net - we're from the future
pgp fingerprint: 18C7 E37C 2F94 E251 F18E  B7DC 2B71 A73E D2E8 A56D