List:       snort-devel
Subject:    Re: [Snort-devel] [Snort-users] blacklist file for reputation
From:       Matthew Jonkman <jonkman () emergingthreatspro ! com>
Date:       2011-07-26 12:24:53

More inline, but the other replies were on target.

We have plans for directives for this in suricata, it'd be VERY nice if we could keep \
consistent conventions here. More:

(cc'ing in the suricata lists, as it's cross-relevant)

On Jul 21, 2011, at 4:13 PM, Joel Esler wrote:
> > Can we feed categories or anything in there, or is this just blocking?
> >

> Expand on what you mean here.  We have some future improvements planned for the \
> preprocessor, but I am not sure what you mean here.

At this point it looks like we can just block anything on the list, not categorize, \
tag, or anything else, correct? (Still a great start! Glad to have that)

> > Will rule directive be coming so we can query reputation within a stream?
> >

> Again, expand on what you mean.  The IP preprocessor takes place before any other \
> preprocessor, and before the rules.

In suricata we're going to have a directive like so:

reputation: <src,dst,either>, ip|dns, category, =<>, int;

Something like that. So we can in the rule query if it's above or below a certain \
reputation level (+100 to -100, + being very good, - being bad, and 0 meaning no \
data.)

So we can use reputation to NOT alert on known very good places (google, our own \
internal resources, etc). We can also use it to alert on known bad, or kinda bad plus \
another factor.

We're still flexible in how we define these directives for suricata, so if we can all \
agree on something it's definitely in everyone's interest for us to do this the same \
way, regardless of background implementation.

So an example of what I'm thinking for the above:

reputation: src, ip, BotCnC, <=, -50;

Plain english, source IP has a reputation of -50 or less in the Bot CNC category.

I suppose we'd need to be able to take a list of categories and call a hit good on \
any or all.

Will that work with what you all at snort have in mind?

matt

> > Thanks Steve!
> >
> > Matt
> >

> > On Jul 21, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Steven Sturges wrote:
> >
> > > The preprocessor has a config setting to ignore RFC1918 addresses,
> > > so no need to whitelist.
> > >
> > > Of course you can also blacklist your 192.168.1.1 router if
> > > you really want to.  ;)
> > >
> > > -steve

> > > Please see http://www.snort.org/docs for documentation

> > Matthew Jonkman
> > Emergingthreats.net
> > Emerging Threats Pro
> > Open Information Security Foundation (OISF)
> > Phone 866-504-2523 x110
> > http://www.emergingthreatspro.com
> > http://www.openinfosecfoundation.org
> >
> > PGP: http://www.jonkmans.com/mattjonkman.asc