List:       snap-users
Subject:    (KAME-snap 4356) setup error? (WAS: IPsec policy based on protocol)
From:       "Koster, R.P." <R.P.Koster () kpn ! com>
Date:       2001-03-30 9:41:34

I hope anyone can point out whats wrong with my setup. I tried many things
and can't find out what's going wrong here.

PROBLEM:
Racoon crashes (core dump) while negotiating Phase 1. This happens on the
initiator side.
The only thing that works fine is a policy in which ALL trafic between two
machines is encrypted using ESP in either transport or tunnel mode. With all
other SPD configurations Racoon crashes.
(Racoon does not crash however after lots of debugging plog() lines where
added (in several Racoon source files) to localise the problem. The
receiving side however does not get an acceptable offer, the SA payload
might be invalid?)

SYSTEM:
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
KAME SNAP (different versions tried, current of Mon 26 March)
(Also tried old pre-compiled downloaded version of Racoon, but with the same
result.)

It even happens on machines that are setup seperate from each other, but
they have FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE in common as OS.

STEPS TO INSTALL KAME (kernel + userland):
-steps from kame/INSTALL executed (openssl is in a different location
however)
-steps from kame/freebsd4/INSTALL executed

Could this be an OpenSSL topic? As far as I know the one supplied with
FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE is used and compilation of KAME goes fine.

Paul
(I leave parts of my previous post here, because someone might see something
odd in the config files.)