List:       snap-users
Subject:    (KAME-snap 3678) Re: KAME questions
From:       itojun () iijlab ! net
Date:       2000-11-29 1:39:18

	so that all of us (users and implementers) can share your questions.

>I am looking for a TCP/IP stack (v4 and v6) that can run as a user-land
>application.  In otherwords, I plan to write applications using this
>stack and run it on Linux.  But I do not want to use the stack that comes
>with Linux.
>
>Do you know if KAME can be configured to do this?  I.e. can KAME be made
>into a library to be linked to an application and ran on Linux like any
>other application?

	You cannot just make a library out of KAME kit.  KAME consists of
	the following items:
	- modified BSD Operating system kernel
	- modified/extended C library to support recent IPv6 standards
	- IPv6 applications (like IPv6-ready telnet, ping6 and traceroute6)
	and you need to use BSD kernel and BSD userland to enjoy it.
	your goal needs a tremendous effort.

	there are multiple ways to solve your problem easier.
	- write a portable appliation, which works on both Linux and KAME.
	  see RFC2553.  use kernel IPv6 code (KAME on BSD, Linux on Linux).
	- use KAME throughout your development.  use kernel IPv6 code.
	- use Linux throughout your development.  USAGI project, which tries
	  to improve Linux IPv6 support, may help you.
	  (check the link from http://www.kame.net/)

itojun