List:       snap-users
Subject:    (KAME-snap 2585) I have strange problem on tunneling
From:       Howard Lu <howardlu () athena ! csie ! ndhu ! edu ! tw>
Date:       2000-05-29 16:31:56

I have two platform  to test IPV6, one is FreeBSD 4.0 embedded kame box,
another is Solaris 2.5 with SUN IPV6 toolkit.

I creat tunnel each other,
on FreeBSD4.0, I do steps as follows
assume
         FreeBSD 4.0 -----------	Solaris 2.5
         IPv4 address X	        	IPv4 address Y
         IPv6 global Gx		 	IPv6 global Gy

and Solaris 2.5 tunnel is set completely

step 1.
        gifconfig gif0 X Y

        when I type "ping6 -I gif0 -n ff02::1" to identify, but it reply
        only one address , it seems tunnel not to work.
        And I try to ping Solaris2.5 IPv6 address,
        the message is " UDP : no route to host"

        the other way, on Solaris2.5 to ping FreeBSD4.0, it is useless.

step 2.
       ifconfig gif0 inet6 Gx Gy

       I  type "ping6 -I gif0 -n ff02::1" again, it still reply only one
       address, it seems tunnel not to work yet.
       when I ping (Gy->Gx), message show FreeBSD4.0 is alive.
       But Gx->Gy , lock on "PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes)  Gx--> Gy"

It is so strange, when I use host to host tunnel , did a router need?(step
1, no route to host)

In step2, Solaris2.5 can ping FreeBSD, but FreeBSD can't.

Did anyone tell me anything about that?
thank your help.

Best Regard

						Howard Lu