List:       snap-users
Subject:    (KAME-snap 8980) Re: Multiple IPv6 default routes?
From:       JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei () isl ! rdc ! toshiba ! c
Date:       2005-03-17 7:22:11

> Does KAME implementation support multiple IPv6 default routes (from multiple
> RA sources or manual configuration)?

The KAME code includes an experimental implementation of multiple
routes for a single destination, but it has been disabled by default
and I don't know if it can still work with recent snap versions.

> If not, why?

One fundamental problem is that the base routing architecture of
BSD-derived network stack does not support that functionality.  Since
KAME basically shares that level of general framework with the
traditional BSD stack, it's not that easy to add this feature just for
IPv6 (we could provide an experimental implementation, but it's hard
to integrate that implementation to BSD official releases).

> There has been RFC 3484: Default Address Selection for
> Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6).

I don't understand why you mention this RFC in this context, but KAME
supports RFC3484 for that matter.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.