List:       snap
Subject:    Re: [SNAP] Telnet negotiation
From:       Jonas Antoni <jonas.antoni () imsys ! se>
Date:       2003-08-11 11:52:56

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Jonas Antoni wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Shawn Silverman wrote:
>
> > I'm currently running bash on a Linux system.  When I Telnet into my SNAP,
> > I don't think the options are negotiated properly, because backspace
> > doesn't work.
>
> I have seen something similar when running telnet from a Xterm. I think it
> is possible to fix this through xmodmap (try man xmodmap).
>
> If I'm not way off here, I think I tried something out regarding this and
> made it work, but there was a sideeffect that made the backspace behave
> strangely in netscape.

Yep I found it. I tested to do a telnet from a RedHat 7.3 installation
running Gnome, and when I press backspace the character 0x7f (delete) is
sent instead of 0x08 (backspace). It is possible to alter this by using
xmodmap, but I don't recommend it since other programs will start to
behave strangely. If you would like to do a backspace, try Ctrl-H, which
will send the 0x08 character.

Anyway, I will alter the telnet server on the SNAP so a 0x7f character
(delete) will act as a backspace (since the delete character doesn't have
any meaning anyway).

	Regards.

	/ Jonas

Jonas Antoni <jonas@imsys.se>