List:       snap
Subject:    Re: [SNAP] SNAP power saving method and effects
From:       chris squire <chris.squire () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2003-10-30 23:54:44

Hi Christian,

Christian Blixt wrote:
> Hi.
>
> It's not a silly question, at least not yet. We are planning to add a method
> for turning Ethernet on and off, but I don't think it is done yet. It is not
> enough not to use Ethernet, you'll have to power down the Ethernet PHY. This
> is done by activating its reset pin, which is connected to one of the port
> pins of the processor or to the FPGA, I'm not sure which right now. This
> could possibly be done by one of the general port pin manipulation methods.
> I can investigate this further if you are in a hurry, or you can wait until
> the proper method appears in the API.
>
> /Christian

Thanks for the info. A method in the API sounds best (not in that much
of a hurry). As an alternative, is the relevant pin brought out to the
SIMM edge connector anywhere? What would be really useful would be for
me to be able to wire in a remote keyswitch so that it is possible to
switch on the ethernet (for programming / upgrading) and then off again
(for battery powered operation).

Thanks,

Chris.