List:       smoothwall-talk
Subject:    Re: [Smoothwall-talk] listing all network interfaces
From:       Richard Morrell <richard.morrell () webbedmail ! com>
Date:       2000-10-17 20:27:19

John, thanks for your input I'll go sit on Lawrence gently..

We do welcome your input and it's a team thing so become part of the
team you're more than welcome

John Potelle wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2000, at 17:38, Lawrence Manning wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, John Potelle wrote:
> >> Here's a quick change you can make to
> >> /home/httpd/cgi-bin/status.cgi
> >> that will show all network interfaces on the SmoothWall Status web
> >> page.
> >>
> >> change the line:
> >> system '/sbin/ifconfig';
> >> to:
> >> system '/sbin/ifconfig -a';
> >
> >This shows interfaces which are *down* as well.  I don't really see a need
> >for that?  Maybe I'm missing something...
>
> You are correct in that ALL interfaces are listed. Maybe I should have
> been more explicit about that? :-)
>
> But ALL interfaces is what I wanted.  Why?  Because its an easy
> way to check all interfaces, including ones that may be causing you
> a problem.  I tend to like more info rather than less.  I put it into the
> web page because its more convenient than to telnet into smoothwall
> and run ifconfig -a myself.
>
> I tend to share what I find. I sent the original note to the list thinking
> perhaps someone might find it useful, especially when attempting to
> get 0.94 to work with cable modems, two NICs and dhcpcd.  I was
> not asking for the developers of smoothwall to make a permanent
> change in the distribution; they can take it or not as they see fit
> including anything else I may contribute to this list. :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> ---
> John Potelle

Richard Morrell
Project Manager and co-author - SmoothWall Project - www.smoothwall.org
Lead UK Developer - RedmondLinux Project
Security Analyst - www.insecure.org

Technical Consultant - VA Linux Systems Inc
email:rmorrell@valinux.com