List:       smarty-general
Subject:    Re: [SMARTY] Re: $smarty version
From:       boots <jayboots () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-01-07 10:37:17

Hey Pete.

I do see what you are getting at and I do think it ought be considered. That
said, I also think that it might be wise to freeze the API in the 2.x branch at
this point. In PHP4, there is no access protection other than by convention --
so technically, $_version can always be reached; furthermore, even though it is
"private" by convention, I would bet real money that you can reliably count on
it being available for the 2.x series.

If you REALLY need a public API call, why not just add a version() method (or
getVersion()) to your custom extended Smarty class?

greets,
xo boots