List:       smarty-general
Subject:    [SMARTY] reading php and tpl files from somewhere else (windows) - a bit long
From:       "George Pitcher" <george.pitcher () ingenta ! com>
Date:       2005-08-19 12:35:48

Hi all,

Almost all of my 12 sites use Smarty - and its great.

However, 7 of these are pretty much identical in terms of templates and php
code. The differences are in the database connection, customer logo and some
of the wording used in system generated emails etc. I handle these using
includes and a config file. I'm hoping that more customers sign up for my
service and would like to simplify my maintenance of these sites.

A typical site structure would look like this:

WEBFOLDER
  all php and html pages (91 and 2 respectively)
  INCLUDES folder with config file, function file and other site related
docs (javascripts, Word templates etc)
  IMAGES folder with customer logos
  TEMPLATES folder with 78 templates
  TEMPLATES_C folder for built templates

I would like to split this so that it looks like:

WEBFOLDER
  INCLUDES
  IMAGES
  TEMPLATES_C

SHARED FOLDER
  all php/html files
  TEMPLATES folder

I'm currently using IIS for most of these sites on NT4 and two sites are on
Apache2 on NT4 and the company policy is to upgrade server software to Win
2003 Server by the end of 2005 (seeing will be believing).

Can anyone suggest a method of achieving my desired objective? I'm happy to
look at non-Smarty suggestions such as including folders, if that is
possible.

MTIA

George in Oxford