List:       smarty-dev
Subject:    Re: [SMARTY-DEV] $smarty.const.CONSTANT
From:       Paul Lockaby <lockaby () vt ! edu>
Date:       2003-02-28 17:03:47

Monte Ohrt wrote:
> That is exactly the problem, look at your example. There is ambiguity of
> what "." means, catentate or array index?
>
> See this thread:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=smarty-dev&m=104585121405535&w=2
>
> I'm open to ideas.

Yeah, I see the problem. Smarty represents arrays using the dot syntax,
which is where the ambiguity arises. If Smarty were made to only
recognize arrays using the $foo[$bar]["bar"] syntax, then the dot
catenation syntax would work, I *think*. Unfortunately, this results in
major problems with backwards compatibility and just about all templates
would need to be rewritten. However, that is the only way that I can see
  catenation working.

~Paul