List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] Beginner Help
From:       robert () spotswood-computer ! net
Date:       2015-01-28 15:41:11

Answers inline.

> Dear Friends,
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. When ever we run a self test or long test, I just wanted to know the
> exact time when any of these tests were last run.

You can't know exactly, but you can get close. In the SMART data is a log
of the self tests (-l selftest or -x or -a), and the power on hours for
the time it was run. You can also look at the power on hours (attribute
09, usually, but not always in the same units) and do the math. For
example, if the log is

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2089
  -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      2087
  -
# 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2084
  -

and attribute 09 is:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  9 Power_On_Hours -O--CK   000   000   000    -    2091

Then you know the last test was run 2 hours ago (2091-2089). The extended
offline test was run 4 hours ago, etc.

> 2. Also when these tests are run where are the log files generated.

They are keep internal to the drive. You can read them with smartctl (see
above) and copy that to somewhere else if you want.