List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] 2TB Seagate gets msg "SMART Status command failed"
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2014-08-18 19:35:32

George R Goffe wrote:
> Christian,
>
> Thank you for responding to my question.
>
> The docking station is made by SIIG, it's exact title is "SuperSpeed
> USB to SATA 3Gb/s Dual Docking".
>
> I should contact their tech support people for this and relate your
> information to them?

You could try this, but don't expect any help. The USB bridge and its
firmware is likely from another vendor.

> I did the following commands to both drives, same docking station:
> /usr/sbin/smartctl -a -d sat /dev/sdb and /usr/sbin/smartctl -a -d sat
> /dev/sdc. I'm including both files below. Notice that the front part
> of each report is the same? Same serial number?

Both reports are very similar, except timestamp and some fast changing
values. This means that both reports are from the same drive. This is
apparently another bug in the SAT layer of this USB bridge. The other
drive is not accessible via SAT ATA pass-through. SMART data could not
be read then.

Thanks,
Christian

PS: For future attachments, please use .txt extension to avoid bogus
mime-types like .sdc = vnd.stardivision.calc.