List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] Export Control code (ECCN) of smartmontools
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2014-04-04 17:27:15

Hi,

Wu, Enping (NSN - CN/Hangzhou) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Does someone know the US Export Control code (ECCN) of this program?

AFIAK there is none.

> We plan to re-use and modify part of the code into our product program

You're welcome to do this. But PLEASE make sure to honor the terms of
GPLv2+. You need to convey the (modified) source code along with your
products. This also applies to any proprietary module linked to code
derived from smartmontools source code.

> but then we are requested with an ECCN code for any 3^rd party SW we
> re-use.

Is an ECCN code actually required?

For example the GPLv3 project Cygwin claims that that this is not the
case due to "TSU/TSPA exemption":
http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

Could you please describe the smartmontools use case within your product
program?

Thanks,
Christian