List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] issues with SAMSUNG HD204UI
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2012-11-20 20:02:03

Emanuele Olivetti wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> On 11/18/2012 10:01 PM, Christian Franke wrote:
>> For drives manufactured after Dec 2010, an update should not be needed.
>
> The HD was bought more than 1yr ago and it might be that Trekstor or
> the shop
> had it in house since a while.
>
> It worths noting that I have a second identical drive (bought at the
> same time of the
> one giving me issues) that works with no problems at all.

If possible, open the case and check the manufacturing date on the
label. This is also needed for a firmware update. Update via USB is not
possible.

> My main concern is to understand whether the issue I am observing can
> be solved in some way - for this reason the Samsung patch looks
> appealing. Do you
> think that the problem I am observing is related to the Samsung
> bug/patch ?

The kernel log messages are likely not related to the Samsung bug. The
bug does not result in any error messages. The disk write cache is
silently cleared if an IDENTIFY command arrives.

>>> 2) How can I apply the patch from a Linux OS? I don't have windows...
>>
>> Even Windows won't help. The patch is a DOS program.
>
> Correct. I am not much knowledgeable of microsoft products. Maybe
> freedos or else would work? If you can share any pointer about procedures
> to follow I'd be very happy.

Unfortunately Samsung/Seagate only provide a plain DOS EXE file.
It may be possible to run freedos from UBCD
(http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and load the EXE via USB or floppy.

This (German) page provides bootable CD and USB images with the patch
included:
https://sites.google.com/site/realmadnex/boot-images/fw-update-boot-images/samsung-f4eg
(As usual: own risk - I did not test these)

Cheers,
Christian