List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support] smartctl kills performance
From:       Ole Tange <tange () gnu ! org>
Date:       2012-05-22 23:09:43

I have started read-scan a disk using:

    smartctl -t select,10-11 -t afterselect,on -t pending,45 /dev/sda

It seems, however, it kills the disk performance. I had expected that
the read-scan would (just like the tests) be suspended when there was
disk activity.

I had also expected the read scan (like the tests) would run without
load on the server, but according to 'iostat -x -d 1' it seems
read-test goes through the controller.

If it is normal that it kills performance, it would be good to stress
this in the manual, as the man page indicates no serious impact
("Selective self-tests can be run during normal system operation").

If it is not normal, could you give me a hint why I am seeing it?

$ smartctl --version
smartctl 5.40 2010-07-12 r3124 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)

/Ole
--
https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/merchandise.html
 ǝsıpuɐɥɔɹǝɯ lǝllɐɹɐd ∩N⅁ ɹnoʎ pǝɹǝpɹo noʎ ǝʌɐH