List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] pending blocks not reliably found in -t long
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2012-06-18 17:17:03

mathog wrote:
> On 17-Jun-2012 22:38, Christian Franke wrote:
>> mathog wrote:
>
>>> picked up some pending sectors.  Strangely these are not always found
>>> with a
>>> smartctl -t long /dev/sda
>>
>> Recently I had a similar issue with a SAMSUNG HE103UJ: 40 pending
>> sectors were reported but both SMART long test and a read scan with
>> ddrescue didn't report any bad sectors. The pending sector count was
>> reset after zeroing each disk block with ddrescue.
>>
>> Apparently this firmware resets the pending status only on write even
>> if the read error was transient. This is vendor specific and typically
>> never documented.
>
> How did you find the bad blocks if subsequent reads completed?

Never :-)

> Also bizarre on the WD10EARS drive was what happened when the bad
> blocks were overwritten, this is the final state:
>
>   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail
> Always       -       0
>   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age
> Always       -       0
> 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
> Always       -       0
> 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
> Always       -       0
> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age
> Offline      -       0
>
> Note 0 in the reallocated rows, even though we assume they were
> reallocated when the bad blocks were written.  (Since
> at that point they became readable again.)

Some possible reasons:
- Old sectors now work again, firmware decided to skip reallocation
- Sectors were reallocated but the firmware didn't update
Reallocated_Sector_Ct raw value
- Attribute 5 means something different
(Attributes are not part of the ATA standard, see FAQ).

Thanks,
Christian