List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] duplicate csmi disk
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2012-04-04 16:46:26

Tejas Natu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a desktop with a SATA disk and SATA mode set to AHCI in the
> BIOS. I am running windows 7. When I run smartctl.exe --scan, the
> result returns two entries,
> /dev/sda -d ata # /dev/sda, ATA device
> /dev/csmi0,0 -d ata # /dev/csmi0,0, ATA device
>
> Both these entries are for the same disk i.e. their serial numbers match.
>
> Why does smartctl return two entries for the same disk?

The Intel driver provides two access paths to non-RAID SATA drives:
CSMI SAS STP pass-through (SCSI node) and standard ATA pass-through
(PhysicalDrive node).
There is no easy way to detect duplicates without knowledge of drive
identity.

GSmartControl ignores drives with similar identity but smartctl --scan
does'nt.

You could limit output by "smartctl -d csmi --scan".

Thanks,
Christian